Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 16 - The Reward of Prayer

by Gail Rodgers
Susan has not yet received the answer to her prayer. Yet she has received something even more precious than the thing she sought from God’s hand. Susan has experienced God.

God promises a reward to those who earnestly seek Him. He says:
“Anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.” Hebrews 11:6
What does God’s reward look like if it isn’t the very answer to our request? Other verses give us insight into God’s thoughts for us as we earnestly seek Him. He tells us:
“They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31
I think that sometimes God holds back on the answers to our prayers for “things” because He wants us to wait on Him, to find the strength in Him to run our part of the race of life and not be weary. Sometimes He waits for us to earnestly seek Him rather than simply an answer or a solution to our problem.
God does invite us to:
“Approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4:16
That help may be the strength He gives us to “mount up with wings as eagles” and to soar above our circumstances with His strength.
Seeking God’s face to know Him better will reap rewards far beyond anything we seek from His hand. It’s not wrong to ask God for things. It is part of prayer. Yet too often it is the biggest part of our prayers.
Try setting aside your list of requests from the hand of God for just a little while. Take those moments in prayer and tell God you want to seek His face. Ask Him to draw near to you and to lift you up as on the wings of an eagle. His presence and His comfort will enfold you. To be incased in His presence and His holiness will meet your need beyond anything you could ask for. Put aside your list and allow Him to change you.
prayer & reflection

Holy Father,
I thank you for Your interest in me beyond my request list. Thank you that You desire to change me and to lift me up as on the wings of the eagle. Today I want to seek Your face. I want to see You clearly and desire Your presence more than the things I think I need. I want to feel You as the anchor of my soul, steadying me through the mountains and valleys of my journey with a strength that lets me run and not be weary. Encase me in Your presence and Your holiness today. May I experience You in a fresh way!
I pray this in the strong name of Jesus, Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 17 - Gray Skies

by Gail Rodgers
Susie called today. She was feeling “down” and couldn’t seem to shake it. The holidays are over, her New Year’s resolutions are sliding and, where she lives, it is cold! There is a lot she needs to do yet she feels unmotivated. Many share Susie’s mood… .

God cares about the days when procrastination reigns in our lives and we feel like we are in a rut. He addresses it quite specifically in Ephesians 5: 15 – 21. Listen to what God says as He details just how to make the most of every opportunity. He tells us where to get the strength so we can pull out of that rut.
“Be very careful then how you live, not as unwise but as wise… “
prayer & reflection

Father God, help me to pay attention to what I am doing with my time. Help me to be wise, not lazy or downhearted, about the things I need to do.
“... making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.”
Remind me that my time on this earth is precious. Help me not to waste it. Keep me mindful that a spiritual battle goes on around me and I can not afford to be spiritually lethargic.
“Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is.”
Keep me from the thief of procrastination. Let Your will be done in my life. Help me to choose to live prayerfully, thankfully and joyfully on purpose.
“Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.”
Guard me from making choices that would fill my body and mind with the wrong things. Fill my inner spirit with Your Holy Spirit, the Source of all I need.
“Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.”
Help me to intentionally speak encouraging words to at least one person today.
“Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything… “
Pour praise into my soul and let it overflow in my heart. I choose to keep a thankful outlook on all of life.
“... in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Even when I don’t feel like it I know You will empower me as I choose to do this.
“Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.”
Help me to have an attitude that works toward compatibility in my relationships today.
I commit to live this way today because I love You, Lord.
Amen
Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 18 - Making the Most of Every Opportunity

by Gail Rodgers
Susie met the new day with anticipation in her heart. It was a welcome relief to the discouragement that had recently immobilized her. Once she applied God’s methods for making the most of her day (see Tuesday’s devotional) His strength enabled her to pull out of her rut.

God gives us inward strength and insight so we can make the most of every opportunity to live as He intended us to live. This brings peace to our hearts.
Then He moves us on to make the most of every opportunity with an outward focus on others. This brings joy to our hearts.
In Colossians 4:2-6 the Apostle Paul speaks to followers of Jesus. Here he tells us to focus outward, beyond ourselves. This is God’s purpose for each of us… to find our innermost needs met by Him and then to look beyond to see others who also need God’s power for living.
“Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful”.
prayer & reflection

Father God, help me to give prayer a place of priority in my life. Remind me to pray for the people around me as I go through my day. Help me to keep a thankful heart and to be alert to what is going on around me.
“And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.”
I pray for those who are specifically working to tell the story of Jesus. Please open doors for Your message to go forward to change lives, homes, churches, schools and work places. Bless my pastor today. Guide the Christian Woman Today staff.
“Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.”
Help me to give your message of love and power clearly through the way I live and talk today. I know that my life is the only Bible some will ever read.
“Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.”
I need your help to be wise in the way I treat others. Help me to be careful with my tones and attitudes. May I make the most of every opportunity to interact and show Your love.
“Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.”
Help my words to come from a heart that is tender toward You. Help me to be gracious in the way I speak. Give my conversations enough of the saltiness of Your preserving love to make others thirsty for You. Give me words to answer those You send my way. I choose to make the most of every opportunity to point to You.
In Jesus’ name, amen.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 19 - Pay Attention

by Gail Rodgers
Susan was feeling frayed around the edges. She felt irritated within herself and couldn’t seem to put her finger on anything. Sighing she finished folding the last load of laundry so there would be clean clothes for the kids in the morning. “O Lord… ” she silently prayed… not really knowing what else to say. She was grateful for bedtime.

As busy women who juggle a lot we often don’t have time to contemplate what is going on within us. Yet God tells us to pay attention to what is happening in our spirits. He tells us:
“Above all else, guard your heart for it is the well spring of life.” Proverbs 4:23
But just how do you do that on a busy day as life hurries on? How do you guard your heart with so much coming at you from all directions? God’s Word actually spells out some specific steps. It tells us that God’s peace will actually guard our hearts and our minds, giving us stability and calmness if we take a few simple steps.
Pay attention to what is causing you to feel anxious in your thoughts. What brought that tension to your shoulders?
Tell God about it. Talk to Him as you would to your best friend.
Make an actual request to Him for His help, strength, wisdom or insight.
Don’t stop there. Find something to thank Him for.
You will begin to experience God bringing His own peace and calm to your heart and mind.
Here’s His promise:
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4: 6 & 7
Pay attention to anxiety creeping into your soul. Use God’s formula and as you do you will experience a calmness in your heart and in your mind that goes beyond understanding. It is the hand of your Heavenly Father steadying you. You can lean there.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
I am so thankful for Your understanding care to me. Today when anxiety steals into my heart remind me to pay attention and to talk to You about it. Guard my heart and my mind today with your amazing peace. I love you, Lord.
In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 20 - My "To Be" List

by Gail Rodgers
We don’t communicate nearly often enough yet we touch each other’s heart and we treasure our friendship. Her recent email blessed and inspired me. Let me share her wisdom…

God inspired my friend to make a list. It wasn’t the usual list of goals and the on-going “to do” list. No, He impressed on her to make a “to be” list and to concentrate on that.
This simple act was bringing a new perspective to her life. God was helping her to focus on His indwelling Spirit and what she was being, rather than just centering her focus so much on what she was doing.
I began my list too…
I know I can’t “be” much without the filling of the Holy Spirit. My shortcomings can short circuit me so quickly. His Spirit can be my strength where I am weak. In fact the very places I am weak can become the entry point of His power! What a cool thought! This is what He says…
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:8
This week my “to be” list looks like this:
  • Be thankful… for little things
  • Be joyful… by choice
  • Be patient… deliberately
  • Be kind… on purpose
I already see results from my friend’s wisdom. On my “to do” list I had a long overdue reminder to visit a lady who is unable to get out much. The extra time never seemed to surface to get there. When I asked God to help me “be kind ... on purpose” I thought of this person and carved out some time to go. I still got the other things done that I needed to and was refreshed by my visit.
My friend said that as the being takes place, the doing will automatically happen. She’s right. God fulfills us… as He fills us!
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Show me the things I need on my “to be” list today. Help me to grow in being rather than simply doing! Change my perspective today with the power of the Holy Spirit! Fill me and fulfill me with Your purposes as I concentrate on who you want me to be.
In Jesus’ powerful name I pray, Amen.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 21 - Emotional Energy

by Gail Rodgers
Susan knew the two were quarreling. From time to time they tried to draw her into their dispute by confiding details to her. She had her own opinions about the matter and found it hard not to offer her advice. She wondered if she should.

Often we feel we can see things differently from the outside and are tempted to try to bring clarity to situations that do not involve us. We believe our own un-sought wisdom will help. God’s Word gives us His wisdom when we wonder if we should get involved in a dispute between two parties. The Bible tells us:
“Like one who seizes a dog by the ears is a passer-by who meddles in a quarrel not his own.” Proverbs 26:17
To grab a dog by the ears is to immediately create a disturbance. Be very cautious if you are tempted to step into a quarrel that is not your own.
Be wise in the way you spend your emotional energy. Emotional energy spent in unresolved conflict will drain you faster than a hard day of physical work. Spending your emotional energy where you have no ability to action a solution will bankrupt your emotional reserve.
If your heart is drawn toward a dispute that is not your own use it as a call to pray for the situation and the people involved. Ask God to reveal truth to the individuals and to bring a spirit of unity.
Pay attention to where you are investing your emotional energy today. Invite God to give you wisdom to spend that energy in positive ways. If your emotional energy is drained ask God if you are spending it where you need not be involved other than in prayer.
If your own conflicts are draining that energy ask God to reveal truth and to give you the insight and the strength to work toward unity. Trust the God of Hope to replenish your emotional energy and to steady you today. He will do it.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that You are such a caring and loving God. Thank you that You understand my need to want to fix things for those I care about. Help me to be wise today in where I invest my emotional energy. Help me not to meddle where I don’t belong. Replenish my emotions today with health and strength from Your divine hand. Give me Your wisdom to work toward unity in the issues in my own life.
I need You Lord and I pray this in the strong name of Jesus, Amen.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 22 - Kindling

by Gail Rodgers
I couldn’t get the fire going. The match went out as I tried to light the logs. Back to the wood pile I went and gathered a handful of tiny wood scraps. I placed the kindling beneath the logs and put the match to it. Immediately the little pieces flamed up and in only seconds the logs were engulfed in flames too.

Kindling is so important in any fire. God tells us our words can act as kindling too and start fires that can soon be well out of control. Listen to these wise words from the book of Proverbs.
“As charcoal to embers and as wood to fire, so is a quarrelsome man for kindling strife.” Proverbs 26:21
God uses the picture of kindling and fire to remind us that when we are quarrelsome we are acting as kindling for strife in our homes and in our relationships.
The cares of our lives can create an anxiety in our hearts that brings an antagonistic tone to our words. We can sometimes sound quarrelsome even when we aren’t meaning to.
Today pay attention to the tones you are using and the words you are speaking. Are you sounding quarrelsome? Are you feeling quarrelsome?
Is there strife in your environment that comes from kindling you are providing?
Don’t let the fire of strife be fueled by your quarrelsome words or attitude. Be aware of your words and choose to speak words that bring life and hope. If there are issues to address choose your time and your words carefully and invite God to help you bring unity and peace. Be careful what you kindle today!
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Forgive me for the times when my tones, attitudes and words are the kindling for strife. Give me Your grace today to speak words of life and hope. Give me wisdom to know if an issue needs addressing and when and how to addresses it. Help me to bring my frustrations to You first and allow Your Holy Spirit to settle me. Speak love through me today Lord.
I ask this in Jesus’ name, Amen.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 23 - Whatever Works for You

by Gail Rodgers
We were planning a lunch date. I took my calendar from my purse and asked if next Wednesday would work. She replied, “Whatever works for you is fine with me.” She was ready to yield her plans to my agenda. I was touched by her willingness.

As I drove home God used her words to speak to my heart. In asking God to direct my path I often have criteria that I want Him to work around. I sincerely want to do His will and be connected in my relationship with Him. Yet I have my own thoughts about what the path should look like.
In other words, I want to do lunch with Him and enjoy His company, but I want to say what time suits me and decide where we should go.
Sometimes God nudges our hearts and asks, “Do you really trust Me?” Can we say “Whatever works for You is fine with me” and believe He will have our best interest at heart? Do we trust Him to lead us in paths that will use the uniqueness of who He made each of us to be? Will we let Him pour His love and power into our hearts so those around us will see by our lives just who our God is?
God is touched by our willingness to yield our plans to His agenda. He promises us that He will lead us in right paths for our individual lives so others will see our amazing God through us.
“He leads me in paths of righteousness for His names sake.” Psalm 23:3
We often say we trust God with our lives. But are we willing to yield our daily plans to His and say “Whatever works for You, Lord, is fine with me? It may mean juggling our calendar to accommodate the needs of another; it may mean saying no to certain entertainment; it may mean taking care that our words build others up and not tear them down; it may mean a lifestyle shift to do what He has been asking. Whatever it may be it will have an upward pull in our lives and will bless us as we yield to His plan for our individual lives.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Today I yield my plans to Your agenda. Lead me in Your paths today and meet some need through me. Flow Your love through my uniqueness today. May the watching world around me see just who my God is! Give me grace and boldness to follow You throughout my day.
In Jesus’ strong name I pray, amen.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 24 - A Fresh Supply

by Gail Rodgers
The little airplane swooped over the bush and came to rest on the lake in front of the cabin. Our friends met us at the dock and we unloaded box after box of supplies. It took awhile to get them all up the hill to the cabin. Before long the tea kettle was singing and we were comfortable on well worn couches in the isolated little log home.

Ann told me her cupboards were pretty well bare. They were out of most everything and had had little to prepare to complement the fish from the lake. The tea and cookies were a welcome treat. Ann was happy to get in a fresh supply of groceries and household needs. Bare cupboards can wear both body and soul down.
I thought about that little cabin in the bush this week. I recalled the long ago picture of Ann happily routing through the boxes to share cookies and tea with us. The memory was a pleasant surprise. It was stirred in our on-line Bible study group when one of the gals, from somewhere in the world prayed, “Lord, give us a fresh supply of Your grace today.”
A “fresh supply”! What a lovely picture of what God offers us each day! When the cupboards of our heart feel bare, and our emotions and physical strength wear thin, we can run to Him for a fresh supply.
Simply call out and exchange your weakness for His strength. Stop at your desk or as you drive or in the middle of your kitchen and tell Him you need a fresh supply from the very hand of God. He will see your need and He will bring a fresh supply of what you need.
Trust Him for it. Believe His word that He will supply it. Expect it…and be thankful when it comes. Share it with someone.
Listen to what God says to Israel… it shows His heart to those who call upon Him. You can embrace His promise too and find your own fresh supply.
“Don’t be afraid, for I have… called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned… For I am the Lord, your God… I provide water in the desert and streams in the wasteland…that my people may proclaim my praise… ” Isaiah 43: 1-21
prayer & reflection

Father God,
I need Your fresh supply today. Please restore my exhausted places with Your strength and power today. I give You my praise and my thanks!
In the name of Jesus, amen.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 25 - Moisturizer

by Gail Rodgers
Iris was bold enough to ask me, “Gail, would you like to try the moisturizer my company sells? It would do wonders for those tiny wrinkles around your eyes.” I was surprised at her question yet I knew those little lines were creeping in so I said, “Sure”!

A little moisture on skin that is dry from the elements (never mind the birthdays!) works great wonders. I was thankful my friend introduced me to something that worked on those little wrinkles. It has been in my makeup bag ever since.
Just as the daily elements take a toll on our skin, the daily grind of life can take its toll on our souls. Weathering the storms of life can often leave us feeling dry and in need of moisture for our soul. Sometimes we don’t even realize it until the effects begin to show…little wrinkles of a bitter root, a critical attitude, an abrasive edge, a weariness that lingers long after a good night’s rest.
Jesus addressed moisture for the soul one day when he was speaking to the crowds that gathered to hear His teaching. He said,
“For the Scriptures declare that rivers of living water shall flow from the inmost being of anyone who believes in me.” John 7:38 (The Living Bible)
The Holy Spirit dwells within those who have opened the door of their heart to believe in Jesus as the Son of God. Yet we often settle for a trickle when Jesus has promised a river!
When you ask for God’s help, the Holy Spirit will bring freshness to your soul and give you strength to overcome those wrinkles that reveal your inner dryness. He will come as a river when you choose to allow Him to flow through you to soften and cleanse you.
Don’t wait another day to deal with the dryness you feel within. Ask for His forgiveness where you see the evidence of inner wrinkles. Ask for His filling. Bask in the moisturizing of your soul as His grace and love fills you and strengthens you.
Somewhere in your life is a friend who may need the answer Jesus offers to those with souls weary from the storms of life. Ask her to join you in this journey of knowing Him.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you that You have given me the gift of Your Holy Spirit to bring fresh life to my soul. Fill me afresh today with Your power and give me boldness to invite others to know Your amazing refreshment and cleansing.
In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 26 - Who's in My Neighborhood

by Gail Rodgers
I walked up to my condo. All around me people were coming and going and yet I had not met a single neighbor. Everyone seemed so busy and intent on where they were going.

“Lord”, I prayed as I unlocked my front door, “if there is someone here whose heart is hungry to know about You, will You please show me. I don’t know how to begin to reach out on this busy street. I offer myself to You as an instrument of Your love.”
Less than a week later I was carrying groceries into the house when a woman from a few doors down opened her door and called to me. Our daughters had played together at the little playground a few times. She invited me in for coffee.
I set the last bag of groceries on the kitchen table. I’d put them away later. As I headed out the door I breathed a prayer asking God to give me the right words as I visited with this neighbor. She may have a hungry heart that was looking for God. “Pour love through me”, I prayed as I crossed the sidewalk.
We easily chatted over coffee. The girls played nearby. Then she turned our conversation to spiritual things. She had lost a loved one and had many questions. Some I could not answer but I could share with her how knowing Jesus made such a difference in my life.
Casually and without any awkwardness I was able to tell her how Jesus is my strength and how He helps me with raising my daughter and facing challenges in my life. We had a good visit.
As I left that day I knew I had been a part of a divine appointment. It felt so good to know God had given me what I needed to say as I had given Him what He needed to make Himself known in this lady’s kitchen and perhaps in her life. We moved not long afterward but I still think of her. God draws people to Himself yet He uses us as He does.
God sees the hearts that long for something deeper than what this world offers them. We are His voice to speak, His hands to help and His arms to hug those He places in our path. He waits for us to be available. His Word reminds us that we have a part to play…
“Offer the parts of your body to God as instruments of righteousness.” Romans 6:13
prayer & reflection

Heavenly Father,
Thank you for the difference knowing You makes in my life. I offer myself today to be Your instrument to show Your love in my circle of influence. Use me to speak or to do what You want as You draw hungry hearts to find You as their oasis. Thank you for this privilege of sharing what I have found in You.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 27 - Impact Your World

by Gail Rodgers
The story is told of the shepherd who had 100 sheep. One evening, as he brought them back home to the sheep pen, he only counted 99. One was missing!

Though night was falling and the way was dark, the shepherd went searching; calling until he found the one lost sheep tangled in the bushes. He gathered it into his arms, took it home and nursed its wounds. The heart of the shepherd was to shelter and protect his sheep.
God’s heart toward those who do not know Him is the heart of a shepherd who looks for that one lost lamb. He calls the name of those who are lost and tangled in the snares of this world. He won’t stop calling until that lost one is safely in the sheepfold, safely connected to the God who loves her. Then His heart rejoices.
“And when the shepherd finds the one that wandered off, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off.” Matthew 18:13
God wants us, as His children, to share His heart for the lost soul who is tangled today in the rush of life. He asks us to be a living example of what it is to know the Shepherd and to be sheltered in the safety of His arms. He doesn’t ask us to sell religion. No, He calls us to invite others to the welcoming, forgiving love He offers freely.
As Christian women God has done some amazing things that we can see.
  • He has made a way FOR US to have a relationship with Him through Jesus.
  • We feel His work IN US as He draws us along on our journey of healing and continues to fill us with His Holy Spirit.
  • He wants to do something THROUGH US to bring lost sheep to know Him.
“He who wins souls is wise.” Proverbs 11:30
prayer & reflection

Father God,
I ask You today to give me a heart like Yours to care about those who do not know the peace and the comfort You can bring. Help me to live my life showing what a difference it makes to know You. Put someone’s name on my heart and in my mind so I can begin to pray especially for that one to come to know You. Give me opportunities to share my experience of walking with You so I can bring others to know You too.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 28 - A Bouquet for God

by Gail Rodgers
Do you ever wonder how to accept compliments when you have simply done what God asked you to and know He empowered you to do it?

Jesus said that we cannot bear fruit unless we are connected to Him. Our own best efforts, without the power of the Holy Spirit, will have no effect for eternity.
He told us that having fruit in our lives shows that we are Jesus’ followers. When we see results for God’s kingdom… God gets the credit. Jesus said:
“This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” John 15:7
So what do you do when people want to give you the credit and you feel uncomfortable with it?
A wise lady once told me to graciously say “thank you” and receive each compliment as you would accept a beautiful rose. Honor the giver with heartfelt gratitude. Enjoy each blossom that is handed to you and in your heart praise God for the beauty His fruit has brought to your own life. Then, at the end of each day, offer all the flowers up to God as a bouquet of praise and thankfulness to Him.
Giving everything back to God, whether it is your compliments, your accomplishments, your riches or your influence keeps them from taking root in your own heart. It keeps you mindful of God’s work through the power of His Holy Spirit and safeguards you from having unwanted seeds of pride take root.
Don’t rob God by casting aside the kind words of those whose lives are touched by what God is doing through you. Gather the lovely flowers and carry them to your Heavenly Father as your praise offering.
What a lovely picture… bouquets for God.
prayer & reflection

Father God,
Thank you for Your empowering Holy Spirit who works through me to touch lives around me. Please help me to graciously accept the flowers of gratitude that come my way and to gather them together as a bouquet for You, the Giver of all good gifts. Keep my heart free of self pride that stifles Your Spirit and use me to bear much fruit for Your kingdom.
With thanksgiving I pray in Jesus’ strong name, amen.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 29 - Hard Headed

by Gail Rodgers
“Hard headed”. It described him well. He had a heart that tried to run from God too many times. Softness was sometimes viewed as weakness and he prided himself in his independent spirit.

That is until today. Today his world was falling apart. Today his hard headedness was catching up to him. Consequences of some poor choices were now unraveling his life with a rapidness that took his breath away.
And so he prayed. He didn’t think he deserved to pray. He only hoped God would listen. Desperation propelled him to the place of prayer. The faith he casually kept on the very fringe of his life was now the hope he clung to.
Desperation is often the beginning of fledgling faith. Desperation can be the unwelcome push that plunges an independent soul into the throne room of God. And God the Father waits. He waits with open arms and a loving invitation. He says:
“Let us come boldly to the throne of grace so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4:16.
If your heart is desperate today and you aren’t sure if you deserve to pray, know that this invitation includes you. Put your own name in it. “______, come boldly to the throne of grace so that you may receive mercy and find grace to help you in your time of need.”
We can all be hard headed at times. God uses times of desperation in our lives to fan that fledgling faith. He waits to shower us with love and help.
Run to Him. Accept the invitation to receive His mercy and find His help. Then let your fledgling faith grow. Don’t just receive His help and then go on your merry way until the next crisis. Learn to walk with Him. Learn to know Him. Let His mercy and help become a part of your daily life. Open your heart and bring Him from the fringe to the very center of it. His care and His love will amaze you.
prayer & reflection

Dear Father in Heaven,
I’m sorry I‘ve gone my own way believing that I really didn’t need You. Yet today I clearly do. Please let this desperation in my heart be the beginning of my fledgling faith reaching out to You. Thank you that Your invitation includes me. Help me not to depend on Your mercy and help just long enough for the crisis to pass. Help me in this hour and draw me to learn to know You.
In Jesus name I pray, Amen.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #30
bluidkiti
Administrator

Growing My Faith Part 30 - Come Near to God

by Gail Rodgers
Shelly envied her friend. Nell seemed to feel God’s nearness and find comfort in His presence daily. Shelly had invited God into her life too yet He often felt distant and she wondered why.

God’s Word holds the answer. It says:
“Come near to God and He will come near to you.” James 4:8
Just how do you come near to God? How do you enter into His presence and feel His nearness and draw on His comfort?
Start with offering your thanks to God for His blessings in your life. Even when life is difficult find the blessings, however small they seem, and thank Him for them. God says we enter His gates with thanksgiving. Thanksgiving opens the door.
Next, begin to praise God for the faithful characteristics of who He is. Praise Him for His compassion toward you. Praise Him for His mercy and His forgiving heart toward you. Praise Him for His faithfulness and the fact that He can always be trusted, even in the dark. Choose to praise Him for His graciousness toward you.
Cultivate a thankful heart. Keeping the faithfulness of God in clear view through deliberate praise will open the door to His presence in new ways.
Begin today. Loosen the doubt and the lack of trust from your heart by going through the gate of thanksgiving.
Loosen the fear and skepticism from your heart by praising God for who He is. Take time to let the truths of His character penetrate your heart. He is good and He is faithful.
“Enter his gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to Him and praise His name, for the Lord is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations.” Psalm 100:4 & 5
prayer & reflection

Father God,
My heart is hungry to feel Your presence close to me. Help me to enter into Your presence through the gate of thanksgiving. Remind me to draw near to You with praise for the wonderful qualities of who You are. You are good, Father God. I trust You to come near to me as I declare Your blessings and Your character. Let these truths penetrate my heart, shape my thinking and change my attitudes today.
In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Post New ThreadReply